Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Interesting Altec tidbits from old mags

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Interesting Altec tidbits from old mags

    OK, I admit it... I'm a Google junkie.

    I've spent hours reading old Popular Science/Mechanics via Google Book Search. Today I noticed they now have a huge collection of Billboard. A slight tweak to an advanced search of old Billboards yeilded 130 old Altec tidbits:

    altec lansing intitle:billboard - Google Books

    Here's a couple teasers:
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting Altec tidbits from old mags

    Thanks for that link B. Great place to see old adds, Radio, Music, and Coin-op stuff.
    I can spend hours in there.





  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting Altec tidbits from old mags

    +1

    Please don't think your post went unnoticed Bfish. Problem is, i open one of those pages and i get sucked right in, end up looking thru most of the issue which just fosters more curiosity to look thru the next one.

    Many thanks!
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting Altec tidbits from old mags

    Glad you're enjoying it guys, you're welcome.

    I've read Pop Sci/Mech since I could read, so much of that is just a revisit. I'd always known of Billboard, but don't think I'd ever opened one till these. Lot's of cool "stuff" in there. The searchable feature's what really sweetens the pot.

    Art, I've got 3 or 4 hardbound collections of old QSTs (?), all radio mags. Want 'em? Probably 20 lbs or more...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting Altec tidbits from old mags

    Art, I've got 3 or 4 hardbound collections of old QSTs (?), all radio mags. Want 'em? Probably 20 lbs or more...

    You got QST's too? We continue to have a lot in common.
    Thanks but I had tons of them, starting 1960, that I donated to the Public Library.
    They became too difficult to store. I believe they are all available on CD now.
    As a kid, I lived near the station in Newington,Ct. where they were published.
    That's where I got my start in Radio and Electronics. (all tube equipment)




  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting Altec tidbits from old mags

    Mine are all older, mostly '50s IIRC. Sequential series in the huge QST hardback binders. Good for rainy day browsing or sunny day doorstops.

    I had a 2nd class license in another life, but never put it to its' intended use. Incidental applications were the only use I got from the study... comes in handy with audio gear though.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting Altec tidbits from old mags

    Thanks for the links and post. I've enjoyed perusing some of the ads and official Altec Press releases.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.